The Nissan Frontier, which combines premium hardware, extraordinary power and off-road athleticism, continues to be a leader in the mid-size truck segment. With a choice of two body configurations, 4x4 and 4x2 drive, powerful 261-horsepower 4.0-liter V6 or 152-horsepower 2.5-liter inline 4-cylinder (King Cab only) engines, and good fuel mileage (17 city, 21 highway, King Cab 2WD), Frontier again offers exceptional levels of family or workplace performance to fit nearly any need or budget.
Revisions for the 2012 model year include the addition of a new Sport Appearance Package on King Cab and Crew Cab SV models. The Sport Appearance Package includes 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels and front grille with Dark Hyper Silver finish, body-color front and rear bumpers, sport cloth seat trim with embroidered Frontier logo, fog lights, body side “Frontier” sport graphic, white-faced gauges, Bluetooth® Hands Free Phone System and much more.
Other enhancements for 2012 include the addition of standard 2-Wheel Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) on 4-cylinder engine equipped models, and three new exterior colors: Brilliant Silver, Metallic Blue and Lava Red.
The 2012 Frontier model lineup consists of Frontier S, Frontier SV, Frontier PRO-4X (4x4 models only) and Frontier SL (Crew Cab only). It is offered in both King Cab and Crew Cab body styles, in 4x2 and 4x4 driveline configurations.
Authentic Truck Style, Innovation to Get the Job Done
The mid-size Nissan Frontier emulates many of the Nissan Titan’s full-size features, including its bold, expressive and adventurous exterior styling. Frontier utilizes signature Nissan truck themes, including an angled strut grille, large bumpers, short front and rear overhangs and large, stamped steel, geometric fender flares.
Long Bed models are available with Frontier Crew Cab SV and Crew Cab SL. Measuring more than 13 inches longer than the Crew Cab’s standard bed, the Long Bed models offer the roomy interior of the Crew Cab, plus the extended bed space of the King Cab. The 2012 Frontier also offers levels of innovation in areas where it matters most to truck owners – the bed. Both Frontier King Cab and Crew Cab offer an available high-utility bed that includes a factory-applied spray-on bedliner and the Utili-track™ tie-down system. The Utili-track system, first introduced on Nissan Titan, provides ultimate cargo hauling flexibility through the use of five special "C" cross-section rails mounted in the bed (two channels in the bed floor, and one each on the bed side rails and the bed header panel). Removable utility cleats slide into the channels, providing a wide range of attaching points for securing cargo. In addition to the tie-down cleats, a full range of accessories is offered for use with the channel system, including bed dividers, sliding cargo trays and modular storage units.
The Frontier exterior also features a standard locking detachable tailgate, tinted front window, rear privacy glass and a hitch ball provision on the rear bumper. Frontier SL models include chrome front grille, outside mirrors and door handles, along with tubular step rails and front fog lights. A roof rack with cross bars is also added to the Crew Cab SL. A power tilt and sliding moonroof is also available on Crew Cab SL models.
Seven exterior colors are offered for the 2012 Frontier, including new Brilliant Silver, Metallic Blue and Lava Red and carryover colors Red Brick, Super Black, Night Armor and Avalanche.
Just as the high-utility bed offers Frontier owners an exceptional level of flexibility and utility, Frontier's interior features outstanding functionality combined with comfort and intelligent design. Both Frontier King Cab and Crew Cab feature large rear doors (rear hinged on King Cab) for easy access to the rear seating and cargo areas. The Frontier King Cab includes flip-up rear seats and both cab styles offer excellent cab storage and flexibility. Removable storage boxes are tucked beneath the rear seats, while the front passenger seat folds down for added load carrying capacity (not available on leather-trimmed models). A locking dual glove box, center console storage, one-liter bottle storage integrated into the front doors and a multitude of cupholders and power points are standard. Frontier Crew Cab also offers an available leather-appointed interior and available tilt and sliding moonroof.
Ample Power for Active Lifestyles
The heart and soul of the Frontier is its rugged F-Alpha platform. Starting with a full-size, fully boxed ladder frame, the F-Alpha platform provides a rugged foundation on which to build. Constructed of high tensile-strength steel, the platform provides structural rigidity for rock-solid performance on- and off- road.
Frontier's long 125.9-inch wheelbase helps enhance ride comfort, while the overall length of 205.5 inches (King Cab and Crew Cab Regular Bed) is a perfect "activity size" for buyers who don't need a true full-size pickup. Frontier shares its suspension layout and many component designs with the Titan, including its all-steel double-wishbone front suspension and solid axle rear suspension with overslung leaf springs and a long suspension stroke for off-road performance.
Exceptional acceleration, towing capacity and all-around off-roading ability is provided, in large measure, by its powerful engine – a 4.0-liter DOHC V6 producing 261 horsepower and 281 lb-ft of torque. The 4.0-liter DOHC V6 is specifically tuned for the unique demands of truck use. Besides smooth torque delivery, the V6 offers good fuel efficiency and smooth operation.
The 4.0-liter V6 design includes a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, Teflon®-coated pistons, resin intake manifold, forged crankshaft, digital knock control system, high capacity muffler, lightweight aluminum block and cylinder heads and 105,000-mile spark plugs. The Frontier V6 is assembled at Nissan's advanced engine production facility in Decherd, Tenn., which also produces Titan’s 5.6-liter V8.
An advanced 2.5-liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine, with 152 horsepower and 171 lb-ft torque, is also available on the Frontier King Cab S-I4 and SV-I4 4x2 models.
Frontier is offered with a choice of transmissions – a smooth 5-speed automatic, a 6-speed manual or 5-speed manual transmission (King Cab 4-cylinder models). Frontier 4x4 models include a shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive system with 2WD/4H/4LO modes operated by an electronically controlled part-time transfer case.
Frontier 4x4 models are available with 4-wheel limited-slip system, which helps transfer power to the drive wheels with more grip on low traction surfaces. The available Hill Descent Control feature allows slow hill descent without the constant application of the brake pedal. Hill Descent Control must be engaged by the driver (via a switch) and is available only when the transfer case is engaged in 4H or 4LO (it works in both forward and reverse). It can be activated at speeds up to 21 mph in 4H and 15 mph in 4LO. Hill Start Assist (HSA) allows the driver to stop on an incline, release the brake pedal and not roll back for up to two seconds while the driver moves their foot to the accelerator for a smooth, controlled start. HSA operates in 4x4 models in 2WD, 4H and 4LO. HSA is designed for rugged, low-speed off-road driving situations. Hill Descent Control and Hill Start Assist are standard on all V6 Frontier SV, SL and PRO-4X 4x4 automatic transmission-equipped models. A 2-Wheel Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) is added in 2012 to all 4x2 models.
All key underbody hardware is tucked up to the frame rails for a minimum 8.9 inches (4x4) or 8.6 inches (4x2) of running ground clearance on S, SV, SL and PRO-4X models. Every Frontier also offers good approach and departure angles for exceptional off-road capability.
Other Frontier driveline components include engine-speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering and standard 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). Frontier is offered with a range of available wheels and tires, including 16-inch off road style wheels with rugged P265/75R16 white-letter tires and 18-inch wheels with P265/60R18 tires. New 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with Dark Hyper Silver finish and P265/60R8 BFG Long Trail tires are offers as part of the SV Sport Appearance Package.
Frontier’s maximum towing capacity is rated at up to 6,500 pounds (maximum, when properly equipped).
The 2012 Frontier includes a long list of safety equipment, including Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones, Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (which includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and a occupant classification sensor), front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with rollover sensor for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection.
Also standard are 3-point seat belts for all rear seat occupants, including center position (Crew Cab), 3-point front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters, the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchor system and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
A Wide Range of Available Models
The 2012 Nissan Frontier is available in a wide range of models and configurations. The Frontier King Cab is offered in four well-equipped models: Frontier S-I4 4x2 (2.5-liter inline 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission); Frontier SV-I4 4x2 and (2.5-liter inline 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission); Frontier SV-V6 4x2 or 4x4 (4.0-liter V6, 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission); and PRO-4X 4x4 (5-speed automatic or 6-speed manual). PRO-4X King Cab models receive a factory-applied spray-on bedliner, bed rail caps, Utili-track™ channel system and four adjustable tie-down cleats.
The 2012 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab is offered in S, SV, SL and PRO-4X models, in regular or Long Bed body styles (SV and SL), each offered with a standard 4.0-liter V6 and a choice of 4x4 or 4x2 drivelines. Frontier Crew Cab S, SV models and the Frontier PRO-4X 4x4 are offered with either 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmissions, while Crew Cab SL models are available with the 5-speed automatic transmission only.
The PRO-4X (4x4 only) features Bilstein® off-road high-pressure shock absorbers, skid plates on the oil pan and transfer case, an electronic rear differential locker 4-wheel limited-slip (ABLS) and unique machine-finished 16-inch aluminum-alloy off-road wheels with large BFGoodrich P265/75R16 Rugged Trail tires. All PRO-4Xs also feature body-colored grille and bumpers, outside mirrors and door handles and fog lamps. Added comfort and convenience features include cruise control, remote keyless entry power windows and door locks and dual power outside mirrors. The PRO-4X interior includes leather-appointed red-stitched shifter knob (M/T only) and steering wheel, chrome accent ring around the white-faced meter gauges and trip computer.
A limited number of option packages are offered for the 2012 Frontier, starting with the S Preferred Package (I4 models only), which adds air conditioner and AM/FM/CD with digital clock.
The SV Premium Utility Package (SV V6 models only) adds AM/FM/CD6/Aux input, WMA/MP3 capability, 2 additional speakers, steering wheel audio controls, Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, XM® Satellite Radio (AT only) (XM® subscription required, sold separately), auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature, spray-in bedliner, Utili-Track™ system with four adjustable tie-down cleats, overhead console with sunglasses holder, Vehicle Security System (VSS) and in-cabin microfilter.
The Sport Appearance Package, available on King Cab and Crew Cab automatic transmission equipped SV models, includes fog lights, Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, mid-grade audio AM/FM/CD6/Aux-in, WMA/MP3 capability, steering wheel audio controls, 8-way manual driver’s seat w/lumbar, gray seat bolsters and seat stitching, white face gauges, trip computer, sunglass holder (overhead console), stitched “Frontier” logo on front seatbacks, bodyside “Frontier” sport graphics, Dark Hyper Silver grille, body-color rear bumper, driver’s side seatback pocket, 18-inch SL grade aluminum-alloy wheels with Dark Hyper Silver finish, and P265/60R18 BFG Long Trail tires.
Frontier Crew Cab PRO-4X models have an available PRO-4X Luxury Package, which features leather-appointed seating with PRO-4X logo, 8-way power driver’s seat, 4-way power front passenger’s seat, heated front seats, dual heated outside rearview mirrors, rear fold-down center armrest, moonroof and roof rack with crossbars. Frontier SL models are available with the SL Moonroof Package with a tilt and sliding moonroof.
Highlights of the 2012 Nissan Frontier pickup include:
Engine and Driveline
- Available in a choice of King Cab or Crew Cab, with Crew Cab SV and SL offering a Crew Cab Long Bed model, measuring more than 13 inches longer than the Crew Cab’s standard bed
- Aggressive exterior design with chrome, angled strut grille, large bumpers, short front and rear overhangs, large geometric stamped steel fender flares
- Available high-utility bed with factory-applied spray-on bedliner and Utili-track™ bed channel system with adjustable aluminum-alloy tie-down cleats (standard on SL and PRO-4X trims) and available accessory racks, trays, dividers and modular storage systems
- Available tube-style, functional roof rack on Crew Cab
- Available power tilt and sliding moonroof (Crew Cab only)
- Seven available exterior colors, including new Brilliant Silver, Metallic Blue and Lava Red and carryover colors Red Brick, Super Black, Night Armor and Avalanche
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- 4.0-liter DOHC V6 producing 261 horsepower and 281 lb-ft of torque
- Aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners, forged steel crankshaft, microfinished crankshaft and camshafts, Teflon®-coated pistons, Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), Continuous Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), silent two-stage timing chain
- Available 2.5-liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder (King Cab 4x2 only) rated at 152 horsepower and 171 lb-ft of torque
- Available 5-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission or 6-speed manual transmission (5-speed manual on 4-cylinder models)
- 6,500 pounds maximum towing capacity (when properly equipped)
- Available shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive system with 2WD/4H/4LO modes, electronically controlled part-time transfer case
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) on all models
- Standard 2-Wheel Brake Limited Slip (2WD models) or 4-Wheel Brake Limited Slip (4WD models)
- Available electronic locking rear differential, Hill Descent Control and Hill Start Assist (4WD automatic transmission models only)
- PRO-4X model includes off-road tuned Bilstein® high-pressure performance gas shock absorbers, skid plates (oil pan, fuel tank), electronic rear differential locker (4x4 only) and limited-slip (ABLS)
- All-steel double-wishbone front suspension
- Solid axle leaf rear suspension with overslung leaf springs with long suspension stroke for optimized off-road ride and ground clearance
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
- Standard 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Standard for PRO-4X models are 16-inch off-road design aluminum-alloy wheels and P265/75R16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires
- Crew Cab SL models feature 18-inch machine-finished aluminum-alloy wheels with P265/60R18 BFGoodrich Long Trail tires
- SV models feature 5-spoke 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich Long Trail tires
- SV Sport Appearance Package includes 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with Dark Hyper Silver finish and P265/60R18 BFG Long Trail tires
Safety and Security
- Roomy, modern interior design with flexible seating and cargo utility
- PRO-4X model features leather-appointed red-stitched shifter knob (M/T only) and steering wheel, chrome accent rings and trip computer
- King Cab and Crew Cab feature flip-up rear seats and flat-fold front passenger’s seat
- Available leather-appointed power-adjustable seats, heated seats and mirrors
- Available Rockford Fosgate-powered audio system with 6-disc in-dash CD autochanger, XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately) and MP3 capability and WMA/MP3 player aux-in jack (Crew Cab)
- Available Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System and XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately)
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (includes dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and a front passenger classification sensor)
- Standard front seat-mounted side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain side impact supplemental air bags with rollover sensor for front and rear-seat outboard occupant head protection
- 3-point front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
- 3-point seat belts for all rear seat occupants, including center position (Crew Cab)
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)