New Public Hydrogen Station Adds Convenience for FCX Clarity Customers. Hydrogen refueling network expands in Southern California
Southern California's network of hydrogen refueling stations continues to grow in Southern California with the opening today of the world's first station supplied by an existing hydrogen pipeline. The new Shell hydrogen station, which is conveniently located in Torrance, California, next to several major freeway corridors and near the Los Angeles International Airport, taps into an existing industrial hydrogen pipeline serving a nearby refinery. The station is also outfitted with multiple fuel dispensers, which allow for the simultaneous refueling of four vehicles in less than five minutes.
In an opening ceremony, Honda FCX Clarity customer Jon Spallino became the first retail fuel-cell electric vehicle customer to fill at the station. With this new station operational, FCX Clarity customers will have access to seven hydrogen refueling stations across Southern California. The FCX Clarity is available on a limited retail basis in Southern California with more than two dozen currently on the road and in the hands of individual customers.
"This new Torrance hydrogen station will give FCX Clarity customers another option for quick, convenient fueling," said Elmer Hardy, senior manager, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Sales & Marketing at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "This is a positive step for our FCX Clarity customers and the industry as we continue to put vehicles on the road and demonstrate the real-world capabilities of Honda fuel-cell electric vehicle technology."
Propelled by an electric motor that runs on electricity generated in an on-board fuel cell, the FCX Clarity delivers quiet, clean power with a small amount of water as its only emissions. The FCX Clarity's fuel efficiency is three times that of a comparably sized modern gasoline-powered automobile, and two times that of a gasoline-powered hybrid vehicle. With a 240-mile EPA-certified driving range and 5 minute refueling time, the zero-emissions FCX Clarity provides customers with a very convenient and anxiety-free driving experience.
The compact and powerful Honda V Flow Fuel Cell Stack allows for unprecedented interior spaciousness and a futuristically stylish, low-slung design previously unattainable in fuel-cell electric vehicles and marks the significant progress that Honda continues to make in advancing the real-world performance and appeal of a fuel-cell electric car.
Honda Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicle Firsts:
- The first generation Honda FCX became the first EPA- and CARB-certified fuel-cell electric vehicle in July 2002. The FCX was also the world's first production fuel-cell electric vehicle, introduced to the U.S. and Japan in October 2002.
- Honda FCX was the first fuel-cell electric vehicle to start and operate in sub-freezing temperatures (2003).
- Honda FCX was the first fuel-cell electric vehicle placed in the hands of an individual retail customer (July 2005).
- Honda was the first manufacturer of a dedicated fuel-cell electric vehicle on a production line specifically for hydrogen-powered fuel-cell electric vehicles (2008).
- Honda was the first manufacturer to create a fuel-cell electric vehicle dealer network (2008).
- FCX Clarity was the first fuel-cell electric vehicle to pace a U.S. Indy Car Race (2011).