The all-new Chevrolet Malibu made its global debut today, with simultaneous introductions in the United States and China – two of the nearly 100 countries on six continents where it will be sold. Chevrolet's first global midsize sedan will provide customers around the world with expressive design, advanced technologies, ride performance and fuel-efficient powertrains.
|All-new 2013 Chevy Malibu | Exterior design | Chevrolet|
Click on the images below to watch this video!
Video from chevrolet
|All-new 2013 Chevy Malibu | Q & A | Chevrolet|
Click on the images below to watch this video!
Video from chevrolet
"The current Malibu has left an award-winning impression and changed the way people think about Chevrolet," said Susan Docherty, vice president of GMIO sales, marketing and aftersales. "This all-new Malibu delivers on the intangibles of today's Malibu but gives customers even more: more style, fuel efficiency, content and features, craftsmanship, and dynamic capabilities rivaling high-end sedans."
Product highlights for Malibu in markets around the world include:
- A range of 10 fuel-efficient and powerful 4- and 6- cylinder engines that are available with manual and automatic transmissions that run on gas, diesel or LPG. A turbo engine option will also be available for some markets
- Sporty ride and handling traits
- Left and right hand drive versions for global markets
- Expressive exterior design with a wide, athletic stance
- Aerodynamics – close to those of the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car – that enhance fuel efficiency and reduce wind noise
- All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize segment
- New Chevrolet MyLink connectivity seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® (available in most markets)
- A broad array of safety features and technologies (availability varies by market) including 10 airbags, ultra-high-strength steel, lane departure warning/forward collision warning and rearview camera system and rear park assist.
Expressive and efficient exterior
"The exterior design of the all-new Malibu carries DNA from its sister vehicles, the Camaro and Corvette, to bring a sporty sensibility to the family sedan segment," said Bryan Nesbitt, executive director for GM exterior design and Chevrolet Brand Champion.
A wider stance, broad shoulders and an integrated rear spoiler bring a new athleticism to Malibu and give it a more aggressive appearance. The new Malibu has a 114 mm (4.5-inch) shorter wheelbase and 1,574 mm (62-inch) front and rear tracks that are more than 50 mm (2 inches) wider than the model it replaces.
Other exterior design cues include Chevrolet's dual-port grille, projector HID headlamps, larger Chevrolet bow-tie badges in front and rear, and new Camaro-inspired LED dual-element taillamps. Wheel sizes range from 16- to 19-inch options to suit an array of buyer preferences.
The new Malibu's exterior is anticipated to be SAE-certified as one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in the segment, with a coefficient of drag (Cd) rating near Chevrolet Volt's Cd of .280. Because of Malibu's new shape and design, engineers were able to remove 60 counts of wind drag compared to the model it replaces.
Roomier, more refined interior
The new Malibu interior was designed to bring an element of sophistication to everyday driving, featuring an all-new dual cockpit design that creates an inviting, roomy and comfortable environment. The increased width of the new Malibu means a more spacious cabin. Compared to the previous model, it has nearly 113 liters of additional interior volume, along with more shoulder and hip room.
The Malibu interior features metallic, chrome or wood accents located around the shifter, surrounding the center stack, around the instrument cluster and on doors and the steering wheel. Soft, ice blue ambient lighting reflects off of and complements chrome accents and ensures even, consistent illumination along the instrument panel and in storage pockets. Ice blue lighting on the center stack dials, exposed ice blue French contrast stitching, soft-touch and textured surfaces, and strategic applications of noise-deadening materials add to Malibu's interior refinement.
The Malibu also has a number of storage areas, including a radio face that articulates up and down to reveal a six-inch deep storage area behind its seven-inch touch-screen radio display – a first in a midsize car. Malibu will also offer a full range of the latest infotainment options, including new color radio systems and an available navigation system.
Malibu will include Chevrolet's new MyLink infotainment package for most global markets. It builds on the safety and security of OnStar and seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®. MyLink integrates wireless connectivity through Bluetooth to enable hands-free use of selected smart phone apps while the device remains safely stowed.
MyLink features a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display designed to manage the number of steps required to complete a task. MyLink also adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smart phones, building on the Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in many Chevrolet vehicles.
People around the world will have a wide array of engine choices when buying a new Malibu. In total, Malibu will be available with ten different fuel-efficient and powerful 4- and 6- cylinder engines around the world. Malibu will be available in many markets with both manual and automatic transmissions and they can choose from gas, diesel or LPG-fueled engines. A turbo engine option will be available for some markets. Both left- and right-hand drive models will be available to meet the needs of all markets where Malibu will be sold.
The new Chevrolet Malibu delivers precise ride and handling. It has been engineered to be best-in-class and on par with more expensive sports sedans. Benefiting from continuous refinement of an award-winning global architecture, engineers have tested, tuned and calibrated the Malibu on rural roads, highways, freeways and GM validation facilities around the world.
Contributing to the Malibu's ride and handling characteristics are:
- A solid body structure as stiff as any in the global midsize sedan market, allowing for precise tuning and dynamic vehicle control
- A premium steering gear for smooth, precise responsiveness and on-center feel
- Proven and continuously refined McPherson strut front and mutli-link rear suspensions
- Large, ventilated front disc and solid rear disc brakes, clamped on by dual-piston front and single-piston rear aluminum calipers, which are expected to deliver segment-best stopping distance
- An isolated engine cradle for tuned, refined feedback, without noise or vibration
- Fuel-saving electric power rack-and-pinion variable-effort power steering, resulting in effortless low-speed maneuvers and a higher degree of steering feel at higher speeds
- Chassis control technologies include four-channel anti-lock brakes (ABS), full-function traction control, four-corner electronic stability control (ESC), electronic brake force distribution (EBD), brake assist system (BA), corner brake control, hydraulic brake fade assist and drag torque control.
When it comes to safety features, the new Malibu will be one of the best-equipped in the segment. The Malibu will also be pedestrian protection-compliant in all markets where it is sold.
The Malibu will also offer these standard and available safety features for all global markets. Additional features will be available in selected markets, to be announced later:
- Dual-stage driver and front passenger airbags
- Driver and front passenger pelvic/thorax side-impact airbags
- Roof rail airbags with rollover protection
- Rear park assist is available
- Available rearview camera system
OnStar is also included in Malibu's safety features and includes Automatic Crash Response, as well as improved voice recognition technology, remote diagnostics, remote door unlock, Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and six months of uplevel Directions and Connections service that includes Turn-By-Turn Navigation.
The new Malibu comes in various trim levels, depending on the market, along with ten exterior colors and up to four interior color combinations, depending on the model selected.
The Malibu will be built in manufacturing facilities around the world, including the United States and China.